Combe Hay is a friendly Scarborough care home providing some of very best residential care in Yorkshire to for older people.
The home is owned and run by a charitable trust, meaning all money is reinvested into providing the best possible care we can and into keeping fees and costs affordable.
We take pride in the quality of our committed staff and the first-class accommodation and services we provide. Our Home sits in four and a half acres of beautiful gardens, offering residents a high quality, independent life in beautiful, purpose-built accommodation.
You can find our latest Care Quality Commission inspection report here.
If you would like to join our team, please look at our Staff Vacancies page.
Our benefactor, George Edward Smart, was one of three children who father, Dr John Cass Smart, was born and lived in Hutton Buscel and had a medical practice in Huntriss Row, Scarborough.
George met with an accident in his early years which resulted in him losing the sight in one eye. The other eye became weakened and for the whole of his life he was unable to bear daylight, so he spent his long life in semi-darkness and seclusion. For many years George lived quietly in Hutton Buscel and then Tunbridge Wells, and on the death of his parents he succeeded to the estate and retired to Combe Hay Manor in Bath. In his later, years he became a recluse but kept abreast of current events by having the newspapers read to him daily.
In life he was a philanthropist who subscribed to numerous charities. In death he bequeathed his funds to build a convalescent home near Tunbridge Wells. He also bequeathed his two cottages in Hutton Buscel to be forever occupied by the elderly and infirm of the parish. In addition to these bequests, he directed that the funds from his residual estate, together with funds accruing from his sister Margaret’s estate, should be invested and allowed to accumulate until the capital sum had grown large enough to build and equip ‘Doctor Smart’s Supplementary Homes’ as they were referred to in his will.
This changed in 1950 when, in order to avoid confusion with Dr Smart’s Home which had already opened in his brother’s memory, the High Court approved that George Edward’s homes should be known as the “George Edward Smart Homes”.
In 1954 the land on which Combe Hay is now situated was purchased, and a home for 35 residents was completed in 1958. Originally it was intended to have two homes on two separate sites, but it soon became clear that there was sufficient land in Stepney Drive to extend, and so in 1967 a further Home was opened. This home was known as Fawcett House. Both houses, of course, have long been run as one, which is now known as Combe Hay after the family home in Bath.
As a result of the philanthropy of a gentleman who never married, a large family was created in his much-loved Scarborough, a home which continues to this day to thrive and offer care and support to its residents.